Come introduce yourself. Hi!

Hi, I am Soma Ismael BOLA
CIO of ITINCEPT, and member of OpenMedia International and Fight For The Future, I teach Net Neutrality in my community and my Local Mozilla Club for make the web, a better and secure place for All

Hey everyone!

I’m one of the Open Web Fellows at Public Knowledge in Washington, DC. Previously I was making games to teach computer science at LearnToMod.

I’m all about about protecting the Open Web and all the components that compose it, especially: open standards, copyright law that promotes creativity, internet access, and web+civic literacy. That’s why I’m here in DC on the front lines of tech-policy, fighting for these issues.

If you’re in town, I’m always available for lunch or a coffee. Feel free to drop me a PM or email. tennyson@publicknowledge.org

-tennyson

Hello all,

Sorry for taking to long to show up. It’s been a crazy time for me lately.

I’m a postdoc researcher in media studies at Stockholm University with an emphasis on the use of ICTs for democratization and advocacy. I’m interested in understanding how to make the Internet more effective in advocating for human rights, particularly in developing countries like my own (Yemen).

My involvement nowadays is with ISOC, which I am joining this month as a board member. I’m also an ICANN Fellow and TED Fellow so I’m at the crossroads of research, human rights, technology and innovation.

If you are interested in collaborating, feel free to contact me.

Walid Al-Saqaf, PhD
Stockholm University - Sweden

Hi, my name is @Akshit , I’m a Firefox Student Ambassador and Club Lead @ CU Firefox Club at Chandigarh University, India. I’m a 3rd year CSE student.

Hi!

My name is Kade, project coordinator at SAP Ariba. While I work in the commercial world I’m very keen to see what advocacy I can get involved with. I’m very much focused on infosec and ensuring the internet remains free and fair for everyone.

Hello Everyone!

My name is Anton Jr,
Im currently tasked to manage Beauché International Branches a well renowned company that provides proven effective beauty products that suits to the needs of men and women. Guaranteed in customer satisfaction world wide and admired for its progressive business dynamics.

I look forward to y’all.

My name is Jim. I am semi-retired but I do software development for a couple of commercial web-sites. My main interest is exploiting the Web to perform collaborative research projects that exploit the efforts of volunteers to organize information. After all the Web was invented for the purpose of making research more productive. In particular I have created a free site for organizing genealogical information at https://genealogy.jamescobban.net in such a way that research progress can be measured and displayed in color-coded tables. For myself this turns family history into a game, as I am constantly trying to organize information in such a way as to change the color-code for a category of source information. Since the site accumulates private information, for example birth dates, and receives queries which reveal information about clients, I have, of course, activated HTTPS even though that costs me almost $10 per month extra for a non-shared IP address. The privacy of users of my site is important to me, as it should be to all services.

My concern for privacy is, unfortunately, not shared by the largest genealogical web service, Ancestry. This creates a specific problem for my site. When an original source document is cited by the family tree on my site I try to provide a link to an image of the original source document. However once I activated HTTPS on my site all of the links to images on Ancestry broke, because Ancestry does NOT support HTTPS. Ancestry actively prevents access to the actual image files, so that you must use its javascript image viewer application. But this means that a URL referencing an image on Ancestry constitutes “mixed active content” and all current browsers block the link. Ancestry is aware of this because the only reference to HTTPS on their web site is an explanation of how to turn browser security OFF into order to use their service.

Ancestry does not acknowledge this violation of its customers’ privacy. Naturally there is no mechanism within their site for organizing Ancestry’s customers to petition for a resolution. I am looking for suggestions of how to convince Ancestry, and other web services, that they need to use HTTPS, in the words of the Prime Minister of Canada, “because its 2016”.